Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The joys of being a mom


Before I get to the joys of being a Mom, let me just say this quickly. I do not think the New Year is too far gone to say this. I am quite aware that some of you, my readers, who are presently dealing with infertility are probably having mixed emotions right about this time of the year. I would like to tell you that for years I desperately yearned to become a mother. I remember that sometimes my most yearning desire for this was as a New Year dawned. I wanted to have hope that the New Year will be the one in which I conquered infertility. This hope however can quickly become a distress as I also started thinking that at the end of this New Year I could still be childless and still fighting infertility. The only comfort here is that you just do not know, your triumph could be just about any month as the year progresses. I encourage you therefore to focus on the positive. Like many treatment processes, overcoming infertility, I found out, is a series of small steps and possibly small gains that leads to an eventual result.
Now that I am a mother, I face each New Year much happier and more complete, ready to take on the challenges of being a mother and eager see what the year has in store for me and my family, and the changes in my son as he grows up.
Motherhood has been to me everything I had ever hoped for and more. It is a real privilege and one not at all to be taken for granted.
Every time I hold my baby in my arms or watch him sleep, something inside me just wants to hold on to that moment forever. Is it possible for me to feel more blessed?
My son is beginning to babble now and says ‘mama’ on occasions. It feels like music to my ears and I cannot wait until he begins to actually have a conversation with me.
Being a mom comes with so many privileges. You are looked on by society so differently and is treated differently as well. I feel as if I am being recognized as a woman for the sole reason of being able to share in such miracle, bringing a child into this world. We no longer have to wait in long lines, instead we are called out and given priority service. You are called to be seated first on flights whenever you travel, and you are singled out in a crowd only because someone thinks your baby is adorable.
This is such a satisfying experience and my heart goes out to women who are being robbed of this due to infertility.
After all we are made to naturally procreate, and when this is frustrated or hindered, we are left feeling empty, betrayed and less of a woman. It is important though that you do not throw in the towel. I was about to do that and turn to adoption, and just on the brink of doing so I triumphed so your triumph could be just around the corner. I know it gets frustrating at times, especially if you are undergoing treatment after treatment with no success. I found myself at that place over and over again. Oftentimes I asked myself, why I am abusing my body like this, as some treatments do in fact have terrible side effects. Now I know why, and every time that I look at my healthy baby boy I know it was all worth it. I say to you, do not give up!!!!

4 comments:

  1. My hats off to you Anetta. Your son is such a blessing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for viewing Renae, he sure is a blessing. I write to this blog everyday so you can view daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so extremely proud of you, if this helps one person with the struggle pain and joy of infertility then this was all worth it. I know this will be of great help to anyone who needs the support, comfort and hope that can be found in your story. Keep it going this the real reason that you triumph so you can be of tremendous help to others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Girl, thanks for viewing and your very kind comments. I feel the same way too, If I can help even one then it was all worth. I contribute to the blog everyday so you can view it daily and if you know anyone with similar issues you can send them in.

    Happy belated Birthday and we enjoyed spending the time with yoy guys Christmas.

    ReplyDelete