Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The issue of infertility




Infertility is a reproductive problem across virtually all cultures and societies and affects an estimated 10% to 15% of couples of reproductive age.
Infertility is suspected when a couple under the age of 35 has been trying to conceive a child with no success for a year, and when a couple over 35 has been trying to conceive a child for six months with no success.
When I was first diagnosed with infertility, I thought it only affected women. It was only after fertility drugs failed to help me achieve pregnancy (which my doctor said could), and he suggested that my husband got tested as well, to see if he was also contributing to our infertility, that I found out it affected men as well. After further reading on the subject overtime, I found out that infertility does affect the male gender almost as equally as it does the female. There is, as a result, female factor infertility and male factor infertility.
Some of the common causes of female infertility are, blocked fallopian tubes, endometriosis and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, to name a few. Some of the common causes of male infertility are impaired shape (morphology) and movement (motility) of sperms and sexual issues for example, Erectile Dysfunction, premature ejaculation.
Fortunately, infertility does not have to be a ‘no children sentence,’ there are treatments available relevant to most diagnosis. When treatment is being chosen for you, you must ensure that you know very well about your condition and the relevant treatment options, so that you can participate with your doctor in the process, in an informed manner. This will allow you to use your time and resources effectively towards a quicker and more favorable result. The internet is a good resource to use to find information about infertility and your specific condition, and the treatments available.
I wish I had someone to tell me this when I was being treated, or my struggle would not have lasted over a decade.
I was not proactive enough, which I think is largely because I did not have the wealth of information that is available today, to make more informed and practical decisions about my treatment, instead, I relied only on information my doctor gave me.
Please visit this site for more general information on infertility and more of the causes and treatments available:-
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/infertility/DS00310

Read also about the new treatment for infertility that requires no drugs or surgery. I wish I knew about this when I was treating my infertility, or else I probably would not have had to suffer through those side effects from fertility drugs taken:-
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/32110.php.




No comments:

Post a Comment