Friday, January 16, 2009

My Infertility Story - My diagnosis and treatment journey cont'd.

…….On subsequent visits to my doctor and after he apparently had done more research into my condition, he diagnosed me with a common condition resulting in infertility, called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I could not even pronounce that term for a while and so I did not tell anyone much about it. My doctor decided that I continue on Clomid as it could still lead me to becoming pregnant, but if it did not, I could do surgery, which is called a laparoscopy, where gas is used to enlarge my abdomen cavity and the cysts scraped from my ovaries.

I found out I was pregnant soon after the diagnosis, but unfortunately I lost it to a condition called missed abortion, where no fetus was actually formed. I tried for a while after that to get pregnant again but nothing happened. I then told my doctor I would do the surgery, which I did. He told me that if I did not get pregnant within six months after the surgery, I should seek other alternatives.
No pregnancy resulted and so I was referred to another doctor who found out that although I had done this surgery, the walls of my uterus was not building up enough to accept the fertilized eggs. She prescribed a series of medication which I took and became pregnant about six months after. Sadly I lost that pregnancy again.
Shortly after that lost I received a positive pregnancy test and I went to my doctor to get checked out. I was definitely not pregnant and so my doctor termed that a ‘false positive’ pregnancy. He discovered that my hormones were imbalanced.
Not wanting to be put on any more fertility drugs, a friend referred me to a holistic doctor who told me that the energy in my body was not in harmony and so that is why all this was happening to me. I underwent a series of energy channeling procedures similar to acupuncture and also received vitamins and iron, and a mixture that he made exclusively for my condition. These were of course natural in nature. No sooner had I completed this course of treatment, I was pregnant, and the result, by beautiful baby boy.
If anyone had ever told us that we would have struggled with infertility and for so long, I would asked them why they were being so mean to us, and what cruelty had we done for such a harsh and callous punishment. Well it happened, because that is just how the journey of life is. You never know what the direction of your journey will be. What is important is that you stay the course even though there will be times you feel you would get off at the next exit.
Let me tell you, if you do, then you will sure miss out on the prize, which apart from what awaits you at the end of the journey, most importantly is the privilege of knowing that you conquered the odds and now have that experience to draw on and inspire others to fight on.
Hmm, let me see then, I have the handsome husband and the ‘pitter patter’ of little feet, or let’s say big feet as he does have some big feet. That is two things out of the three that I daydreamed about. The home with the white picket fence is still to come, the good news then is, I can now put all my energy and resources into accomplishing this, now that the journey with infertility is behind us.
A closer look at polycystic Ovarian Syndrome:-
From site:-
“Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), also known by the name Stein-Leventhal syndrome, is a hormonal problem that causes women to have a variety of symptoms, some of which include, acne, weight gain, obesity, infertility and oily skin.”
Luckily for me, infertility was the only prominent symptom I had.
The condition is characterized by little cysts on the ovaries, as the name suggests, that can be removed by laparoscopic surgery, where as I mentioned earlier, gas is used to enlarge the abdomen cavity and the cysts are scraped from the ovaries. This is considered a minor surgery and it is only necessary
to spend a few hours in the hospital.


See illustration below:-


Example of polycystic ovaries

Please visit the following site for more information about its causes and treatment and more, you can also view corresponding link on right side of this page:-
http://www.medicinenet.com/polycystic_ovary/article.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment