Thursday, October 20, 2011

"IN PRAISE OF OLDER PARENTS"



In case my last post ‘Down Syndrome and how it happens’ caused  undue stress to anyone who find themselves in this category, I am following up with this post, to bring about some encouragement and validation to all who are thinking of starting families at a later stage in life and the rest of us who are already on this path.
According to a Statistics Canada Report, although it is well known that older women who conceive are at increased risk for miscarriages, stillbirth and babies born with birth defects, these babies are generally just as healthy as those born to younger women.
The report went on further to say that these children are often more advanced, saying their first words and taking their first steps earlier than those born to women in their mid to late twenties.
Another article ‘In praise of older Parents’, looks at the benefits of being older parents which includes the fact that older parents are usually more established in their careers and are generally more financially secure by this point in their lives and are also more equipped to manage the changes that having children bring.
Older parents also say that they are now more patient with their children more than they would have been when they were younger.
Of course, like everything else, there is a flipside to all things good. Many older parents will find that they are mistaken for grandparents and that can cause some discomfort if you are not secure in who you are. From experience I know that keeping up with toddlers later in life is somewhat of a challenge and these kids somehow seem to need your attention more.
All in all, I strongly believe that a child that comes to us at any age in our lives is such a blessing and once we do not set ourselves up for failure by having ridiculously high expectations, the experience should be a rewarding and fulfilling one. Just to reiterate my closing point, our son is hyperactive, from he was in the womb (if I might say). When he was two years old, one of his uncles said to me, “I am in awe of how you keep up with him.” I guess he made that comment because I am not a mom in my 20’s or even 30's for that matter. I did not have to think too much or too long about my response to him, I quickly said, “I came into this with no high expectations” and I did not have to say anything else, he got the point.
Follow the links below for more information in this regard:-


No comments:

Post a Comment