Monday, October 10, 2011

JUST WONDERING, DID I HURT HER FEELINGS????


Saturday night was my baby shower. It was lovely and I enjoyed every moment of it.
The first activity we did for the evening was one where all the ladies gave me, new mom advice. I got some great advice, even advice from grandmothers. How privileged am I.
When the activity got to this particular young lady, a very good friend of mine, her advice was, ‘ensure that hubby does his part’ To which, this being my second child, I responded, ‘hubby does alright in that area.’ I could see her discomfort as she quickly said, ‘I know, but I do not have anything else to say.’
The thing is, this young lady is single and has no children. I spent the rest of the evening feeling some discomfort, as I was wondering if I had hurt her feelings. If her feelings were hurt however, she surely did not show it as she continued to take part in the other activities of the night in her usual high spirits, even winning some of the competitions.
Am I too conscious about hurting people when it comes to infertility and childlessness? You see I have found out that even if people do not visibly show that they are hurting for that which comes automatic for some of us, marriage, having children etc., they do hurt, because they themselves say it, given the right circumstances.
Which leads me to ask the question, how comfortable are these individuals at baby showers and christenings, are they secretly wishing that they were never invited?
I love you my friend and I do hope I did not cause you any discomfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment