Wednesday, September 30, 2009

PRAYER AND INFERTILITY

Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him.
Children born to a young man are like sharp arrows in a warrior’s hand
Psalm 127: 3 & 4

Throughout my struggles with infertility, I constantly prayed to God to take this hurdle out of my life and allow me to have the children I so desperately wanted. I know those of you currently struggling with infertility is praying this prayer as well and hoping that God , in his mercy, will answer you.

As the years passed and I realized that no answer to my prayers were forthcoming, II began feeling desperate, and wanted to at experience what it felt like to become pregnant, and so, I began saying to God, maybe your will for my husband and myself is not to become parents, this I have to work on accepting but in the meantime, could you just allow me to see what a positive pregnancy test looks like, to experience the symptoms of pregnancy, the nausea, the vomiting the bloating and lo and behold, he answered that prayer. I became pregnant with what was to later be a missed abortion and believe me, I felt all the symptoms and more. I remember asking him again that he allow me to wear maternity clothes that I so often pictured myself in and wanted to wear so badly, because I thought I would make a gorgeous pregnant woman (smile) and that I be allowed to experience the pampering and attention that pregnant women received and I so envied. Well, he answered that too and I became pregnant again and carried that pregnancy to seven months.

I remember telling this to a friend and her advice to me, was that I try praying for what I actually wanted, a child and probably God will grant me this at long last. Would he, I thought, I had been praying for so many years and none was forthcoming. Anyway I left that at that.
When I became pregnant with my son, I was not trying and was not praying for a child either, at least not as yet, because I was on treatment to resume trying again and also had just relocated. When I found out I was pregnant, I began praying in earnest for my unborn child, because I was not prepared to lose this child like the last one. I even told God that if he took this one, he should take me as well because I did not feel that I could go through another loss. Every morning, I would pray and rub my stomach with olive oil (a symbol used in Christianity along with prayers for healing and well-being) and I did this for the duration of my pregnancy. I was still, however, very anxious and frightened, not that I did not trust God, it was because of my previous losses.

I recently heard that some couples begin praying for their unborn child right before intercourse. I found that truly amazing as I had never thought of doing that, I prayed but it was usually after sexual intercourse, that God would not allow this opportunity to go to waste. I wonder if it would have made a difference if I had prayed before. My friend who brought this to my attention was so taken by this as well, she knows of people praying for their unborn child when they actually became pregnant, but not before.

One thing I believe is that these couples must have a special relationship with God and want him involved in all aspects of their plans to have a family, to actually think of doing this. Having done this also, their pregnancy should be anxiety and stress free as they already know that God has ordained it and will have them in his divine care and keeping until delivery. I don’t know about you, but this sounds pretty good to me.

This is truly commendable and I feel that every Christian should begin praying for their unborn child even before conception, as I believe the world would be a much better place with more children being born, who are shaped and molded in Christ even before conception.

Be blessed, therefore and until next time, keep clinging to hope.

6 comments:

  1. Another wonderful post, Annetta. Your raw honesty is so beautiful. The lives you are touching without even realizing it, is a blessing. I especially like how you write that we must have a relationship with God.
    Thank you for your continued hsaring with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Annetta for such a testimony. It has really stretched my faith that nothing is impossible with God if I pray believing that He is a Father who cannot give me a stone when I have asked for bread and He cannot give me a snake when I have asked for a fish. Please stand with me in prayer as I believe for the blessing of the fruit of the womb right now. I declare that this time next year I will be holding a testimony on my hands. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are most welcomed and I am only too happy to stand and believe with you for the answer you so want and deserve. Be blessed.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stumbled across this. I am in tears. I have two children from a previous marriage after my son was born my ex husband forced me to get my tubes cut and burned. I cried before and after surgery. I got married 3-22-12 to my husband now. Rev. Antony Bogdon of Xtreme Fire Ministries. We long to have a child were prayed over for fertility restoration. My month visitor reared her ugly head Saturday afternoon. I bawled Bc I just knew this was it. I have such faith that God played doctor and healed me. But I am so impatient I say God in your time, but I mean in my time....like now. This made me realize it will happen in God's time. I give him my baby now. Everyone I knowbhas told me they have been having visions of us having three. I keep saying I am not young anymore and I don't have long I am 28, and there have been older pregnant women. Thankbyou for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy to include you and your husband in in my prayers that God will bless you with the family you so wish for. God is faithful as my family knows all too well.

    Blessings always and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete