Thursday, September 3, 2009

HOW FERTILE CAN ONE FAMILY/ WOMAN BE???

“Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him.
Children born to a young man are like sharp arrows in a warrior’s hand.”
Psalm 127: 3 & 4






I think you all might know of this family, the Duggars. They have a television show on The Learning Channel called, Eighteen kids and counting, turns out they are pregnant with their nineteenth child with their eighteenth just months old. I guess they now need to change the name of the show to reflect this change after this child is born.

Can you imagine, eighteen children with number nineteen on the way, and that is not all, they are also expecting their first grandchild by their oldest son. How fertile can one family be? I can just imagine how women who are battling infertility, wanting to have even one child must be feeling. I was taken aback, and even went a little further to being somewhat annoyed and wanted to shout at the television, ‘enough already, will you stop,’ when they were featured on the today show announcing this pregnancy. I have a child and was still annoyed so I can only imagine how others who do not have and so desperately want to have, must be feeling. I guess my annoyance stems from the fact that Mrs. Duggar makes getting pregnant seem so easy when so many of us have to struggle long and hard to be successful even just once.

I was reading an article which stated that she thought her childbearing years were behind her when she realized she was pregnant again. It is accurate to say then that she was not trying for another child but she was certainly not doing anything to prevent it either.

I wonder if Mrs. Duggar knows that there are many infertile people around who might be feeling a little annoyed with them as their announcement is only a reminder of what they so desperately want, children. I wonder also if this family is trying for a record or something, ‘the family with the most children.’ I do not know, but what I do know is that, the minute I heard this announcement I immediately started thinking about persons who are infertile and how they must be feeling, and my heart went out to them.

Children are indeed a gift from God and the Duggars are blessed to have so many children. They have been blessed times nineteen with the blessing of a grandchild also on the way. They seem so happy and fulfilled and even though my post is not reflecting this, Don’t be fooled, I am happy for them.

Mrs. Duggar gives hope to women who are over forty and still want to have children, as I have learnt that she is forty-two.

Please follow the link to continue reading the Duggars story and until next time keep clinging to hope.
http://infertility-fertility.blogspot.com/2009/09/another-pregnancy-over-40-duggar-does.html

4 comments:

  1. I can understand your feelings of why is it so easy for one person and a struggle for others.

    I guess for those that it is a struggle the child who arrives brings joy 20-fold, right, as I hear you express over and over. Your child is your pride and joy, and is showered with love.

    Are all 18 of those children getting the love and attention they each deserve?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question Pam. One can only judge by how they look on the camera and they do look happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Clare, long time, Yes the food bills must be high. They have income though from their show on TLC, just like John and Kate plus eight, they are able to survive and even better than us. I guess that is why they are able to have more children as money does not seem to be an issue.

    ReplyDelete