Monday, April 27, 2009

Depression and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)

“Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him.
Children born to a young man are like sharp arrows in a warrior’s hand.”
Psalm 127: 3 & 4












I began having symptoms of PCOS in my late teens but was however diagnosed way into my twenties. Since then, depression has plagued me. What I did not know until recently, was that depression is one of the symptoms of PCOS. PCOS causes an imbalance in your hormones that is why depression is associated with it. I thought that my depression was caused from my infertility and a speech impediment, which has crippling effects on my life. I was never diagnosed with depression, but the little I know about the condition, I knew I was depressed, as I had some of the symptoms that it is associated with, low self esteem, sadness and hopelessness, to name a few.

My reason for doing this post is because I witnessed someone who I was told has PCOS having a meltdown recently and even declared that for the past two weeks she has been battling depression to the point where she was having suicidal thoughts. I have had my experience with these thoughts and it is frightening. Might I say that suicidal thoughts should not be taken lightly and these individuals should be constantly checked up on and they should get the help they need.

The state I saw this poor girl in, caused something to clicked within me as she reminded me so much of my years struggling with depression where I was misundertsood and judged in such an unfair way. She is a young girl, a teenager to be exact who I am sure does not understand fully what she is dealing with and neither does her parents or friends. I realize that I am the best person to reach out to her at this point to let her know exactly what is happening to her and to educate her parents so that they can get her the help she so badly needs. I have began to educate her friends as well because they must coexist with her. I must act soon because if she actually acts upon these suicidal thoughts (God forbid), I know I will never forgive myself for not helping, having gone through it myself.

I am still battling depression as my PCOS has re-occurred. About a year after giving birth to my son, I realized that I was depressed again. I began feeling ungrateful that instead of being happy for my son, I was again depressed. Little did I know that it was my PCOS that had returned and it had been causing my recent depression. I knew this after suffering a miscarriage a few months ago. I am now on treatment again for this condition and has now vowed that I will certainly do my little part in bringing awareness to depression of this kind to all who suffer with PCOS and all others concerned.



For more on helping others who may be having suicidal thoughts, click on the link:- http://www.emedicinehealth.com/suicidal_thoughts/article_em.ht



For more on depression caused by PCOS, click on the link:- http://pcos.about.com/od/whatispcos/a/depressionover.ht



Until next time, keep hope alive.

8 comments:

  1. I think you are a very brave to be dealing with all this, given your depression has come back. I think reaching out this girl will also help heal you too. Good luck with it all. You are doing the right thing. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Clare, I feel personally responsible given the fact that I now have the awareness and I am managing my situation.

    Thanks for your kind comments and all the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found you by reading Steven on Stuttering. I found this post to be very relevant, honest, and emotional. Thanks for sharing. I recently made a post on my own blog about my own journey with depression and suicidal thoughts.
    I will definitely check out more of your stuff.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading my blog Pam and thanks for your kind comment.

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing! I really hope you are doing ok sweetie, your blog really touched me.J ust wanted to let you know there is a PCOS ladies club over at http://my.bounty.com/forums/ where people with PCOS can share experiences and give each other support! Would be lovely to see you over there! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry to hear that you have been battling depression for so long. I truly hope that you can find someone to talk to, because you don't have to feel this way! Having suffered with depression for many years, I understand the sadness, but even worse, the hopelessness that comes with it. I hope that you too can find the light on the other side.
    Good luck =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How i got a cure for PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome).

    I actually promised myself that i will do this because i never in life thought i would be cured of PCOS because my gynecologist told me there was no cure and because of this i could not take in and get pregnant. I had PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) for 7 years and this was a big pain to me and my husband due to the downcast we felt for not having a child. I experienced irregular periods or no periods at all sometimes, heavy periods, i gained weight (fat). I seeked a cure from one doctor to the other used androgen, clomiphene, metformin and even traveled to different states to see other doctors to no avail. My husband got to know about Dr. ALeta via a testimony he read on the internet on how a woman got a cure and he contacted her with the contact she left. I got the herbal medication and used it for the speculated 3 months that was all i have a son who is just 8 months old. Do not give up just contact her on (aletedwin@gmail.com) on how to get the herbal medication. Thanks and i wish you get cured soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you finding it difficult to get PREGNANT as a result of POLYCYSTIC OVARY SYNDROME (PCOS) or FIBROID? Dr. Uduehi has the cure to your problem, he cured me of PCOS and my sister of Fibroid. I was diagnosed of PCOS and I have battled with infertility for years even with the help of fertility drugs there were still no pregnancy, some months ago my husband came with the ideal of contacting a doctor he was told about. We contacted him and he did administered his medication on me and after the encounter I became well and am pregnant at the moment. Here is the contact to reach him: uduehiherbalcare@gmail.com phone/WhatsaPP: +2347084878384

    ReplyDelete