Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Circle of Life

“Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him.
Children born to a young man are like sharp arrows in a warrior’s hand.”
Psalm 127: 3 & 4

Picture taken at our wedding in 1993

Great Grandma Daphne is wearing the pink and black outfit at extreme right of picture

I have been feeling a little guilty and perplexed from yesterday as one of my son’s great grandmother passed on and she did not get to meet him. I cannot help but feel that I did not put out enough effort to have her meet him. A year and a half ago when we took our son home for christening, because she was not really well and the distance she was living, we did not get to see her at all. I was hoping that we would have been able to attend the funeral and was feeling a little lighter that at least we could tell our son when he is older that he attended her funeral. Thank goodness we have pictures so we will be able to show him what she looked like.

I know she was not doing well of late but I did not expect her to go so soon, I thought she would have held on until Christmas when we visit again. That is life though, the circle of life that is. Great grandparents are just too great to hang around, they must go so that the circle of life continues, so we have to cherich the time that we are so previledged to have them around, and so every great grandparent should get the chance to meet the little ones that bestow such title upon them and for that I will ever feel that she was cheated.

Great grandma Daphne was such a sweetheart, she was strong, she walked almost everywhere she went and was employed fulltime right up until a few years ago when her family decided she should not work anymore. That seem to have affected her and shortly after she became sick. She had such quiet dignity about her. She was very humble and peaceful and tried everything she could not to be of any inconvenience to anyone. She asked for nothing but gave so much from the little she had. I admired her so much and often thought that I wanted to be like her when I was old. When we lost our daughter in 2007, she was so supportive, she did not say much (as she was a woman of few words) but what she said meant more than what many others said.

I encourage you all who are parents to ensure that your little ones get the chance to meet their great grandparents if they have such, so that you don’t have to feel like I am feeling now. This is special family history that they should be a part of, even though they might be too young to understand. The reason I am feeling this way is because I was not a part of such history, the only grandparent I vaguely knew, died when I was still a little girl. Our son is such a lucky little boy, he has more than his fair share, with even two additional ones (step great grandmothers).

Rest In peace Great Grandma Daphne

You will be forever in our thoughts.
We love You









Until next time










2 comments:

  1. Indeed. Rest in Peace Grandma Daphne. I think inter-generational relationships are so important, both for the child and for the adults involved. My husband's grandma had 15 children, and she now has over 50 grandchildren and about 20 great-grandchildren! It's amazing. Sadly I only have one grandparent still alive, and Im the eldest grandchild and the only one likely to have a child in his lifetime, i hope i manage it before it's too late!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in my prayers Clare and just as I triumphed after over 10 years of trying, you and anyone else can too.

    You remain in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete