Friday, February 28, 2014

INFERTILITY NEWS, FACTS AND VEIWS “Conflicting criteria clarified for diagnosing Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome”


A typical polycystic Ovary
As one who suffers from Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, which was the cause of my decade long struggle with infertility, I am very much interested in any new development relating to this condition.
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome or PCOS, affects millions of women worldwide and is a leading cause of infertility.
According to the National Institute of Health (NIH). This condition causes diverse symptoms, and its causes are poorly understood. The definition and even the name of PCOS have been subject to debate. An NIH panel concluded in January 2013 that the name focuses on a specific symptom - cysts in the ovaries and this symptom is apparently not present in all PCOS cases. This is part of the confusion about the condition, they say.
The Endocrine Society in October 2013, issued a Clinical Practice Guideline (CPG) for the diagnosis and treatment of polycystic ovarian syndrome. In the CPG, The Endocrine Society recommends that a diagnosis be made if adult women have two of the three main features of PCOS (diagnostic criteria supported by the NIH panel):
§  Excess production of male hormones called androgens.
§  Anovulation, a condition where the ovary does not release a mature egg each month. This causes irregular menstrual cycles.
§  The formation of clusters of pearl-size cysts containing immature eggs in the ovaries, which is called polycystic ovaries.

Well, I can safely say that my diagnosis was right as it is supported by two of the above symptoms and I am indeed happy to say that this recent development will certainly allow for more accurate diagnosis of this condition, so that proper treatment and management can begin earlier.

The more you know……..


1 comment:

  1. How i got a cure for PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome).

    I actually promised myself that i will do this because i never in life thought i would be cured of PCOS because my gynecologist told me there was no cure and because of this i could not take in and get pregnant. I had PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) for 7 years and this was a big pain to me and my husband due to the downcast we felt for not having a child. I experienced irregular periods or no periods at all sometimes, heavy periods, i gained weight (fat). I seeked a cure from one doctor to the other used androgen, clomiphene, metformin and even traveled to different states to see other doctors to no avail. My husband got to know about Dr. ALeta via a testimony he read on the internet on how a woman got a cure and he contacted her with the contact she left. I got the herbal medication and used it for the speculated 3 months that was all i have a son who is just 8 months old. Do not give up just contact her on (aletedwin@gmail.com) on how to get the herbal medication. Thanks and i wish you get cured soon too.

    ReplyDelete