Thursday, April 21, 2011

PREMATURE OVARIAN FAILURE (EARLY MENOPAUSE) AND FERTILITY


I have watched helplessly as my body changedover the last year or so to the point where I became very concerned that I could be entering into early menopause.   I Remember telling a friend of mine that I feel like I am living in someone else’s body as I cannot predict what will happen around ovulation and menstruation for any given month. I also felt at times like my body was literally turning on me. As a result of this, I consulted Dr. Google, but luckily the symptoms associated with early menopause is not really what I have been experiencing.  I have since summed it up to just age taking its natural course, because it is said that a woman’s body changes in function as she ages.

According to an article in Medical News today, my concern was certainly not too far off, because Premature Ovarian Failure (POF) or Early Menopause seem to be on the rise, affecting 1 in 100 women. The good news though is, there is still hope for women who wish to have a baby.

From the article

"For women who wish to have a baby, the options include either adoption or achieving a pregnancy by oocyte or embryo donation. In oocyte donation it is necessary to prepare the endometrium for implantation. This can be successfully achieved by incremental doses of estradiol valerate and then progesterone therapy. This creates an endometrium receptive to embryo implantation.

The cause of POF is still largely unknown. The condition is usually permanent but ovarian activity can resume and fertility has been noted among 5-10% of women with the diagnosis. 

The main symptoms of POF include irregularity of the menstrual cycle, oestrogen deficiency in the form of hot flushes, night sweats and loss of libido.

A physical examination, including height, weight and body mass index, is essential. Once POF is confirmed the main areas of treatment include education, counselling and psychological support, treatment of oestrogen deficiency symptoms and fertility management.” 


Read more about Premature Ovulation Failure (Early Menopause) by following the link below.



No comments:

Post a Comment