Monday, March 10, 2014

MONDAY RAMBLINGS: A Matter of Life and Death






As a child, I remember being terrified of death, If I heard of the passing of someone and worst, if I knew them personally, I would go into full panic attack mode, to the point where I felt as if I was dying too. As an adult, I confess that some of that is still with me, but now I have made my peace with death. After the death of our unborn child, due to complications from infertility, and seeing persons I know having to deal with death in such a personal way, got me thinking, well if others have to deal with this, why not just prepare prepare myself too, since death is as natural, a part of life as anything else.

My son, who is now 6, I am not sure how the issue of death came up, some time ago, but his dad told me that he witnessed him go into full panic attack mode and started shaking and crying hysterically. I thought to myself, poor child, he sure got that from me. I also remember hearing him tell his dad one day that he does not want to marry and then die. I am still not sure what he meant by that, but my guess is that, because we marry when we are older, death automatically comes quicker. Children these days are just too smart.

A classmate of his, from Kindergarten and now Grade 1, who has been ill and in and out of the hospital, since the beginning of the school year passed on Friday. We  are not quite sure what really happened, but he did surgery sometime ago and then recently he slipped into a coma and passed on Friday. My husband broke the news to me Friday evening after our son’s teacher texted him. As soon as he told me, he told my son, who was within earshot at the time. I remember reprimanding my husband for breaking the news to him in such an abrupt manner, as I think, a more gradual thoughtful approach would have been better. I watched carefully for his reaction and thankfully, he did not seem too disturbed,  he just responded casually, oh well, I guess I will have to tell my other classmates when I go to school on Monday.
                                                                                                    
While giving him his shower later that evening, I carefully brought up the subject again as I wanted to see exactly how he was feeling. He still seemed alright, but said to me that one of his classmates, after hearing that he was born in Trinidad, W.I., said that all Trinidadians were just going to die. He then said to me that what his friend said to him really got to him and I got from that, that he was in fact disturbed a bit and so, in an effort to help him, I said, well, Trinidadians are sure not going to die any more than the rest of us, as we all have to die one day. He quickly told me to stop talking like that and I dropped the subject immediately. The matter of death did not come up again for the rest of the weekend and he so far, still seems like his normal self. I am not sure how school for he and his classmates will go today.

I am not sure if we will let him attend the funeral though because that might be where he is impacted. I know his class might be planning to go, but I am not sure, his dad and I are still processing this, plus being hampered by the theft of the family car, that might prevent us from going as well.

At this point, I am more impacted than my son because it is always very sad for me when I hear of the passing of a child because I am thinking that this is a life hardly lived. He was just 7 years old.

Michael, may your little soul rest in peace.








image by: http://www.celtoslavica.de/chiaroscuro/films/matter/matter.html


No comments:

Post a Comment