Monday, March 17, 2014

INFERTILITY NEWS, FACTS AND VEIWS : Older Fathers and the health risks to their babies



During my infertility struggles, after I got to age 35 and the years following that, one by one slipped by,  I became more and more jealous of men, who it seemed at the time, were able have to babies really late in their lives. Some men who you think were grandfathers were actually fathers.  I know of cases of men who have had babies in their sixties and seventies, but for women, no such luck.
Well, this might have been the case then, but recently, a study published in the journal JAMA Psychiatry is linking older paternity to certain conditions such as, ADHD, autism and bipolar disorder in babies.
In the study, 45 year old fathers were compared to those who were 25 year old  and  it was revealed that fathers who were 45 year old were :-
·                  Thirteen times as likely to have a child with autism 
·                  Three times as likely to have a child with ADHD
·                  Twenty-five time more likely to have a  child with Bipolar Disorder
·                  2.5 times more likely to have a child with substance abuse and suicidal tendencies
I guess men will become more aware like us women, of their age when they are contemplating starting a family, and will want to do so before they get too advanced in age.
My husband and I had a gentleman guest over the other day, and after we introduced our children to him, he remarked, “I am about ready to settle down and have two of my own as well. I so wanted to say to him, do it sooner than later, because of this recent study.






 image by:http://www.treatmentadvocacycenter.org/about-us/our-blog/69-no-state/2494-research-paternal-age-linked-to-schizophrenia

No comments:

Post a Comment