Thursday, June 30, 2011

DEALING WITH A PREMATURE BIRTH



Many of us who become pregnant, look ahead with much expectation of  having a healthy full term pregnancy and we make our plans accordingly.

Then we find that our little bundle of joy has other plans, they have decided to come early. Some do come early and their prognosis is quite good, but for others, this is the beginning of a lot of anxiety and fear for the parents.

You never think that you would be among those parents who have to leave the hospital with empty arms, leaving your little bundle of joy hooked up to tubes in a neonatal unit and could very possible have to remain there for weeks or even months before they are ready to come home with you, or worst yet, not even come home with you at all because they did not survive. I have never been there but could have been if our first little miracle hadn’t died intrauterine. I therefore can only imagine the anxiety that all involved have to face at this very difficult time. A fellow blogger had, not one, but two ‘premies’ (twin boy and girl) so you can just imagine its double the anxiety. Premature births are common among multiples so try to put yourself in the position of parents of premature triplets etc.

I have come across a lot of blogs in my area of focus (infertility), where many families have to go through this, and it is amazing how they make it through. The blogging community, I find, is full of people who are always there when they are needed. They never fail to pass by these blogs with an encouraging word or prayer or thought. Amidst that though, it strikes me to see how these parents handle these circumstances, they do not throw any ‘woe is me’ or ‘why me’ tantrums, instead they take things one day at a time, having so much hope and never failing to give thanks that they are able to bare children (most of these blogs are of persons who are struggling with infertility).

Pregnancy is much like life, you do not know at all what the future holds. I remember for my pregnancies, whenever I hit the 28 week mark, I would begin to feel some relief, because it is widely known that if your baby decides to come at this point, then (barring any other problems), they would be able to survive outside of the uterus. For the pregnancy with my son, I never felt that I had conquered infertility until I woke from the anesthetic and was presented with my healthy baby boy, because things can go wrong anywhere from conception to birth in a pregnancy.

Whenever you find yourself blessed with a full term healthy baby, you have to be thankful and most of all,  feel very favoured by God, because many are not so privileged.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family of the blog http://roadlesstraveledblog.blogspot.com Their little one decided to come early, and thanks be to God, his prognosis is very good.

For any of you dealing with a premature birth, you are in my prayers and for those who are pregnant, a healthy, safe and full term pregnancy to you.








No comments:

Post a Comment