Saturday, February 13, 2010

……….ON LOVE AND VALENTINE’S DAY

Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him.
Children born to a young man are like sharp arrows in a warrior’s hand
Psalm 127: 3 & 4


"HOPE MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE"









Yesterday I went grocery shopping and thought I would pass by the chocolate isle and pick up a nice box of chocolate and a bottle of wine even, for us for Valentine’s Day.

On reaching this section, I was floored by the prices that seemed to be screaming at me, and even the smallest box was way out of my budget. My husband kept saying to me, “come, forget about it, let’s go, we are each other’s Valentine’s and there is no price that can be placed on that.” I loved him for saying that, but I still stood there feeling so guilty that we could not afford the chocolates and was even thinking of resorting to some other chocolate that was cheaper.

I finally gave in and left, and soon found myself on the same page as my husband. After all, who need some expensive chocolate to validate my feelings for my loved ones? As far as I am concerned I try as best as I can to practice love as it is spoken about in 1st Corinthians 13, 4 to 8 in my daily life, and most of all I try to align my relationship with God in the context of what he says is the first and great commandment, “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy soul and with all thy mind and with all thy strength” (Mark 13, verse 31) and it does not cost me anything financially, because I see every day as Valentine’s Day on my calendar. I really do not have a problem with giving gifts on these occasions, because it does brighten things up a little, but not when I would have to take out a mortgage to do this.

These merchants capitalize on occasions like these to maximize profits and you know, we are the ones that keep enabling them, because we keep buying. I am really glad my husband insisted that I remove myself from the temptation, because then, this post would have been written very differently.

Here is the link to a beautiful site I came across, where I found a poem which speaks so profoundly of love and I want to share it with you. Love is certainly inexhaustible and with love, what else do we need, really!!!!!!

http://w2wsoul.com/ode-to-love/

Happy Valentine’s Day to my dear husband and son, and to you all. It is my hope that this Valentine’s day for you, will be filled with everything that this poem says it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment