Thursday, July 7, 2011

HONOUR FOR CAYLEE



I guess by now, most of us have invested in this ongoing trial involving a mother, Casey Anthony who was being tried for the murder of her daughter, Caylee, who went missing and was later found dead, in the summer, about three years ago.

I must say, I was one of those who was somewhat upset when she was found innocent of murder, two days ago and only felt better after hearing her Prosecutor said, “If you are going to understand the legal system any at all, you must understand also, that sometimes, things just won’t go to the way you expect them to.” Also, the evidences could not lead to a murder conviction.

As I watch bits and pieces of this trial over the past weeks, I could not help my anger. Everyone was so busy trying to clear themselves of being connected in any way to this tragic death, lying if they have to, and all this time, I could not believe the different stories that came about. Why was no one thinking about Caylee. Of all the persons who gave testimonies, family and otherwise, someone must know something about this innocent child’s death, whether it be accident or otherwise. Why then is no one moved to honour this child’s memory by being direct and truthful about what really happened. She deserves closure and deserves to rest in peace.

I have heard that her mother was nineteen years old when she was born and the pregnancy was unwanted, but after watching footage of mother and daughter enjoying playtime, everyone can conclude that she seems wanted and loved. Why then would her mother wait a month before reporting her missing. If my child was missing, I would probably report it even before the required time had elapsed (48 hours as I understand it). Most of all though, why would she lie to the authorities when being questioned, when she is a mother and is expected to love and most of all be the protector of any child entrusted to her?

I was further upset when I see all the hugs and congratulations that Casey received after being proven innocent. I don’t know that I would want to be congratulated like that if I was in her position, because, in my opinion, no one should feel like a winner here, Caylee is still dead and it seem we are still nowhere closer in knowing how she died and her mother lied to the authorities to protect herself.

I understand that there are a lot outraged people out there because of the outcome of this trial and I can very much see why. Barring the part the legal system played, there are a lot odd outcome from this trial. Caylee was two when she died and I remember being so protective of my son at that age. Why were those who should have been protecting her seemingly not around  to protect her from her demise, when she needed them most. I know the defense theory is that she drowned accidentally in the family pool and accidents like that happens from time to time, but given the dynamics of this case, this is hard to digest.

I really hope this case will eventually have closure and Caylee will receive the honour she deserves.




No comments:

Post a Comment