Friday, July 22, 2011

LIGHT MOMENT FRIDAYS – Feature 17




Sure hope this will lighten your day.....


"THE RACE IS NOT FOR THE SWIFT........."


The other day, our son was playing race with his six year old cousin and their grandmother was keeping score. His  cousin won all the races, after which she celebrated and tell her grandmother, ‘one point for me none for Theodore.’ Our son was not amused, so after each loss he would cry. I then heard his grandmother telling him that it is not nice to cry when he loses. I thought to myself, who likes to lose. When I was in primary school and would run a race and be placed last, I was usually so humiliated to the point of tears, so what says a four year old, whose opponent (his cousin) celebrates so jubilantly after each win.

Anyway, that is not really the light moment that I want to write about. This week at our son’s  Summer School, they had a sports day and he was chosen to run the lime and spoon race for his house. I had great hopes for him because he likes to run around the house a lot and especially when it is time for his bath. The other day his grandfather watched him run and was amazed at how he takes his corners at such high speed, so I concluded in my mind that he would  make a good runner. ‘On your mark’  and they were off. Our son held on to his spoon with such a steady grip, that the lime did not fall from the he spoon once.  As he walked down the track, he was busy watching the scenery in front of him as all his opponents limes fell many times and they picked them up,all with great purpose to win this race.

Our son never seemed bothered about winning at all, neither did he seem interested in whether the lime fell or not, he just seemed more interested in the scenery that was unfolding  in front of him. The officials waited patiently as he was the last to reached the finished line. He finished his race as composed as he started, with not one drop of tear.

When I told my husband and his grandmother, they had a good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment