Monday, July 8, 2013

MATERNAL AGE AND FERTILITY




It is widely known that maternal age does affect fertility. When a woman reaches age 35, her chances of becoming pregnant decreases and the likelihood that she will have a child with birth defects, increases.

This is why when I was struggling with infertility, as soon as I reached 35, I became very frightened and desperate to beat this condition. When I finally became pregnant, I was a little over 35 and felt that my pregnancy would be normal, turns out that was a problematic pregnancy, which I lost at 28 weeks. The pregnancy with my son, although I was now older and as a result more nervous and anxious, turned out normal. The pregnancy with my daughter, now I was over 40 and terrified and felt on many occasions that she would be born with birth defects, turns out I was highly favored by God and apart from some very minor defects, she was born my perfect little girl. I am indeed grateful to all my doctors and other medical personnel who were so committed in seeing to it that my pregnancies were successful.

Thanks to the advancement in medical science, like me, more and more women of advanced age are getting pregnant, (some quite easily) and  are having perfectly healthy babies.

Follow the link below to learn more about maternal age and fertility and see also the risks associated with conceiving after age 35.










Post image by:



No comments:

Post a Comment