Friday, April 20, 2012

“ ITS MY TURN TO BE THE BABY”



Yesterday morning, after giving the baby her morning feeding, hubby came and took her. No sooner had he taken her, our four year old son jumped into my lap, assumed the nursing position and remarked, “its my turn to be the baby”. I could not believe how big he felt in my arms and wondered, where did the time go, where did my first little baby go? I did not waste the opportunity to bond with him as I have been quite delinquent where that is concerned. He was a little out of sorts when we took the baby home but now he is doing quite all right, and enjoying his precious little gift of a sister.
I told him that mommy used to hold him just like that and feed him ‘chu chups milk.’ (When he was born his grandmother gave my breast the name tu tups, and so since then this is the name we have used and because he did not quite get the correct pronunciation, it became ‘chu chups’ for him and still is). For his sister, he now refers to it as ‘mommy’s magic chu chups’ as she falls asleep as soon as she starts nursing. Much to his dismay though, as he always wants her awake so that he can play with her. I went on to sing him the lullaby ‘hush little baby don’t you cry’ and he laughed hysterically (he has a laugh that no matter how down you are, it warms your heart and cheer up your soul).
He too seemed to have wanted to cease every moment of this opportunity because any minute, his father would be calling to get ready for school. He then requested that we play forte (for him it is ‘house sheets). I am sure most of you know forte and used to play it when you were kids, where chairs and cushions are used to create an enclosure. For our son though, he uses a sheet (hence the term ‘house sheets’) and our bodies do the function of the chairs. He has a dictionary of terms like no other, for things. His first name for cheese sandwich was ‘triangle cheese,' because we used to cut the sandwich into two triangles. Soda for him is ‘burny hot juice’ because it burns the throat when being consumed, and if it is grape flavour, it is ‘burny hot juice, purple.’ He is quite a little comic around the home, and makes us laugh so much. So under the forte, I began to ask him about school, who his best friends are etc.
The time was short but it worked for me and seemed to have worked for him as well. This got my day off to a great start and was reminded again, that our struggle with infertility was so worth it and how blessed we are to have these precious little miracles in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment