Monday, November 14, 2011

LIFE LESSONS



I used to watch Oprah Winfrey shows a lot, but stopped watching them for quite some time now. One night recently, I was looking for something to watch and stumbled across her network. A program called ‘Oprah’s Life Class' was in progress. I decided to stop by and check what it was all about.

She was co-hosting this show with Life Coach, Iyanla Vanzant, and they were basically talking about lessons learnt in life because of situations we have had to experience.

Later on in the show, they had a guest on, one of the stars of my 'Big Fat Greek wedding.' Her life lesson came to her, when, as a victim of infertility for over a decade, she decided one day, while driving to an awards show in which she was nominated for an award, that she did not want to fight this infertility fight anymore. She was feeling really crappy that day and was in no mood to be on a red carpet, she said. That moment led her to her foster daughter and she is now a spokesperson for Foster Care. She even went further to say that, she is glad for the struggle of infertility, as it is because of this that she now feels so fulfilled in life.

As I listened to her, I thought about my own struggles with infertility. As my struggles progressed and my pain intensified, I knew somewhere along the line I wanted to help others, but I just could not make the move. It was not until February 2009, when my son was almost 2, that this resolve came, as I was too  preoccupied with my infertility pain to do it before that.

I know sadly, many of us who are facing struggles in our lives, do not so easily find the resolve to help others from our pain, because we are not able to see beyond this pain and therefore cannot see the life lessons that are in these struggles for us. For some of us, it is not until much later that we are able to identify these lessons and act on them. This is a pity though, as it is a known fact that we end up feeling better about our circumstances when we help others.

For those who are able to cease these opportunities, what empowerment for you and what motivation for the rest of us.

BE ENCOURAGED THEREFORE





No comments:

Post a Comment