Tuesday, December 21, 2010

INFERTILITY AND CHRISTMAS

Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him.
Children born to a young man are like sharp arrows in a warrior’s hand
Psalm 127: 3 and 4


“HOPE MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE"




I cannot count how many times I have heard people say that Christmas is their favourite time of the year. The song, “Its the most wonderful time of the year,” echoes those sentiments as well, and later goes on to say, With the kids jingle belling, and everyone telling you "be of good cheer," it's the most wonderful time of the year.

Sadly for many, Christmas is a hardly a time for good cheer, it is a very sad and probably the worst time of the year for them. Those who have been struggling with loneliness because of bereavement or otherwise, people who have lost loved ones around Christmas time and persons who are struggling with infertility are among some of the saddest, this time of the year.

As someone who has struggled with infertility for over a decade, many Christmases, found me dealing with sadness and depression because in my view, Christmas is mainly for children and having none to decorate a Christmas tree with, to see their faces light up when they pull the present they have always wanted, from under the Christmas tree, gave me little to want to celebrate. As a result, I kept  my Christmases low keyed, with promises of better ones, when those children actually showed up.

Thanks to God, these  past few Christmases, we have been able to celebrate as a family, with the addition of our son, and I cannot say enough, how much happier I am on account of this. I try to now make Christmas a very special time for us, seeing that I have cheated my husband and I out of so many, and let me say, even if funds are limited, you really do not need a lot of money when it comes to creating special moments with the ones you love most.

I do not, myself, have any coping strategies to offer to individuals who are struggling with sadness and depression, as a result of infertility at this time of year, because I do not remember doing anything to cope, but I have offered this link, "tips for facing the holidays while trying to conceive," where others were kind enough to offer some. I am sorry I do not have coping strategies for others  who find them themselves in this position at this time of the year, for reasons other than infertility, but still take a look, you might find that one or more of these strategies, could help you in some way or the other.

Have a blessed Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment