Thursday, March 4, 2010

FOR THE LOVE OF 'MAN'S BEST FRIEND'!!!!!!!!

"Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him.
Children born to a young man are like sharp arrows in a warrior’s hand"
Psalm 127: 3 & 4


"HOPE MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE"












The other day I was watching as the rescue of a dog played out on the Fox News Channel. The host of the program at that particular time, named this dog ‘Fido’ and I then thought to myself, that this news program could be broadcasting this event for the entire duration of their time on air. Well, go figure, even though viewers were upset that so much effort was being put into saving this dog and it was a waste of taxpayers’ money.

Fido was caught in a rushing river as a result of heavy rains that this area in the United States was experiencing at the time. At first the rescue team, which had now converged at the scene, was trying to encourage the dog to turn around and tread upstream because continuing in the direction he was going at the time (downstream), would have made matters more dangerous for him, because the water was getting deeper and the current swifter.

They did not succeed at this and so a rescue helicopter decided to take matters in hand and soon a rescue officer was dangling from the helicopter as the helicopter lowered the officer towards the dog, in hopes of grabbing him and bringing him to safety. This was of course very challenging as the officer had to risk his life among dangling live power lines and so everyone waited with abated breath to see if this outcome would indeed be a happy one.

It ended happily, but sadly the officer had to endure a frightened dog, who was biting at him furiously, as he grabbed him and brought him to safety.

I love dogs a lot and this was very emotional for me to watch, and I too was hoping that this ended happily. As I watched this event unfold though, I could not help but think, look at the length we would go to save an unfortunate dog when towards each other we become so violent at times. Parents abuse and hurt their children, Sex offender prey on our unsuspecting children and we do not think twice, to gun down our fellow man. Do we show more love to our dear pets.

I know it is said that a dog is a man’s best friend and judging by how well we treat our pets, some of us seem to feel more loved by our pets than our fellowman, because our pets are always so happy to see us and do not judge us at all, but isn’t it unfortunate that this is so, shouldn’t we also try to coexist with each other in the same way.

As I said before, I do lover dogs and I remember when I was a little girl, we had this neighbor and very good family friend, he had a bad leg and so I used to do a lot of errands for him. This particular evening he was visiting with us at the time we were having dinner, he always ran little jokes with me and so he proceeded to ask me for some of my dinner, to which I replied. before I give you, I give my dog. I know I did not mean to hurt this dear man, and my parents seemed to have known this as well, because I do not remember being scolded. Infact, my mom seem to love relating this story when we meet for family gatherings. This man did have a special place in my heart, so much so that when he died, I cried at his funeral, but I must have been annoyed that he was asking me for some of my dinner. I related this little story because it could come across that I treated my dog better than I treated people, but I do not think it qualifies, because I was just an innocent little girl. I always thought this was a cute story and so I wanted to share it.

I know if it was a human being who had needed rescuing in the same way that Fido needed rescuing, the same efforts to save the dog would have been employed, but it still had me wondering if we do love our pets more than how we love those that we are created to coexist with.

Just some food for thought, catch up with you for my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment