Friday, November 27, 2009

BLESSINGS IS THE REWARD FOR A THANKFUL HEART

Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him.

Children born to a young man are like sharp arrows in a warrior’s hand
Psalm 127: 3 & 4




Americans pause every year at this time to celebrate Thanksgiving, a time of year when families gather over a large feast as they give thanks for all the blessings in their lives.


We do not celebrate thanksgiving in this part of the world, but many of us try to be thankful every day for the blessings in our lives. This year has been rough for many of us, financial problems, joblessness, health issues, you name it, and it is so refreshing when we can pause to say thanks to God for the good things we do have as well.


I know it is a struggle for many of us, especially at this time, to do this because we are so overwhelmed by the bad things that are going on with us. When I was struggling with infertility, many days I felt like this, I was just so sad and hopeless and if anyone asked if I was grateful for anything in my life, I would have had a hard time coming up with any. This is indeed difficult for me to admit, but that is what hopelessness does to people.


While doing my regular ‘blogroll’ reading, I came across a blog by a young lady who stutters (I follow stuttering blogs as well because as many of you know, I also stutters and have plans of starting one of my own). This young lady also has other challenges in her life, especially at this time, yet she chooses not to be bitter about these things, but to give thanks for the good things she has going on in her life. I am not sure if she realizes how many she came up with, but I noticed and want to say that, some of us feel at times that we do not have much to give thanks for because of the many challenges we face, but we would be surprised if we begin to write down the blessings we do have, I am sure it would add up to a lot. Try writing the first few as the gift of life, the gift of love and the gift of freedom, things so many others are struggling to keep in their grasp even as I write, and many of us take for granted.


We should therefore not wait on a special time of year to give thanks, we should begin each day with a thankful heart, because blessings is God’s reward for a thankful heart.


Here is the link to this young lady’s blog, entitled ‘Giving Thanks’ http://stutterrockstar.wordpress.com/2009/11/26/giving-thanks/



Read and be encouraged.

2 comments:

  1. You are welcome Pam. Your post inspired me and I am sure it will inspire my readers too.

    ReplyDelete