Wednesday, March 30, 2011

ARE YOU A HAPPY MOTHER???




There was no doubt about it, I was going to be a blissfully happy mother, should I be given this privileged opportunity and I know many women who have ever struggled with infertility, had this image in their minds as well.

 I was given this opportunity which I have fully embrace and is forever grateful to God for. The reality is, I am indeed happy, but not always blissfully happy and I find this strange because as one who yearned for so long to become a mother, I thought that it would be no problem for me to totally remain in the moment and enjoy every minute of it, no matter what.

Motherhood, in fact, let us not leave out fathers, parenting for that matter, is hard work and does have moments when we are not as happy as we would otherwise have wanted to be. There are a lot of stressful moments, like those when you wonder seriously if you came home from the hospital with the right child, because of  how mischievous and difficult they get at times. You question your capabilities of nurturing and caring for another human being to the point where they can take care of themselves and make their own decisions, and you go out of your mind with fear about their safety. Not to mention the fact that  you spend a lot of your time and energy competing with other parents, making sure that your child has the most expensive toys and clothes and just simply, the best of everything.

Sadly, we lose ourselves in this chaos and no longer indulge in those moments that make us truly happy, enjoying our children, laughing and playing with them. My three year old son always invites me to get down on the floor and play with him, and quite honestly, apart from the fact that, because of my age, it is quite a task to get down on the floor, let alone to get back up, I often have second thoughts about actually responding to his request, because I am thinking, what else, more worthwhile could I be doing. Before long, though, I am made to realise that this is the most worthwhile thing that any mother could do for their child. Show me a mother who is so present in their child’s life that they do not hesitate to get down on the ground to play with them and is still able to effectively scold them when necessary, and I will show you a fortunate and happy child who will no doubt become a successful adult later on.

Dr. Meg Meeker’s life revolves around caring for children, being a paediatrician, and says she sees a lot of burnt out, unhappy mothers on a daily basis and so she wants to help us become happy again.
In her book, ‘10 Habits of Happy Mothers’ Dr. Meeker is putting her  twenty-five years of experience as a practicing paediatrician and counsellor into a sound, sane approach to reshaping the frustrating, exhausting lives of so many moms.
By implementing the key strategies in Dr. Meeker’s book - getting back to the basics of parenting, you can be happy, hopeful, and a wonderful role model. You can teach your children to be the very best they can be—and isn’t that still the most precious reward of motherhood?
If you are interested in this book, it can be purchased directly from link on left, from from Amazon.com




No comments:

Post a Comment